Thursday, July 21, 2011

8-Year-Old Logic

How exactly does one explain what I am doing this next year to three 8 year olds?? I'm trying to figure that out myself. The girls I watch have known for a couple of weeks now that I am leaving and moving somewhere new very soon. Up until now they have been asking pretty simple questions like "Where are you moving to?" or "What will you be doing at your new job?" or "How far away will you be?" And those I can answer with little confusion, and I can even pull up a map to show them where exactly I'll be. But today, a whole new flood of questions came my way.

We were cooped up inside most of the day because of the lovely 98 degree weather and heat index of about 115, and I guess their minds were racing. It started because we were talking about chocolate (I don't remember why) and Maddy brought up the chocolate that I brought them from my most recent trip to Erie less than two weeks ago. I had stopped by Romolo Chocolates (website) to get my fix and had bought each of my girls a chocolate soccer ball sucker. Maddy fell in love and today asked me if we could go and get some more. Trying to explain to an 8 year old that this place is two hours away and only accessible by a very busy thruway that her parents would probably not be happy with me taking her on is not an easy thing to do. And then the floodgates opened.

"Is it where you will be living?"
"Yes."
"Can you mail some to me?"
".........possibly."
"Will you have time while you are down there?"
"Now and then."
"What will you be doing when you are there?"
"A lot of different things."
"Explain!"

I cannot describe to you the look on all three of their faces (I watch twin girls, the third is their friend that comes over most days) when I told them where I will be living, and who I will be living with. I wish I had a camera or my phone on me at that moment.

"Do you have a house down there?"
"Sort of. It's not mine, but I'll be living in a big house. Bigger than your house."
"No way!"
"Yes way!"
"What is it?"
"A monastery."
(Cue confusion)
"......what's that??"
"A place where nuns live. Do you know what a nun is?"

Their friend did, and hearing her try to describe to the other two what a nun is was so mind blowing I don't even know how she did it. I did my best, and I can't even remember how I explained it. But they asked what religion I am and what religion the nuns are and now they think if you are Catholic you are a nun. So if you ask them, I'm becoming a nun, and I'm living in a church.

Then they asked where I will be working, and since I don't know the exact place(s) yet, I kind of gave them an idea of the different options I have. When they found out I have a chance to work with kids they decided they are going to ask their parents to move down there. Good luck with that.

I have a feeling this is only the beginning of the questions. I think I need some more practice explaining things in 8-year-old-eese. Is there a handbook for this? I can only use the excuse "ask your parents" so much before they climb on me like monkeys and demand an answer! Maybe I'll perfect it in the next four weeks. I can only hope.

My monkeys are pictured below with me in the pool, our new home for this heat wave that doesn't seem to want to go away. Madison is on the left and Elizabeth is on the right. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have seen this conversation go down, they're so funny!

    ReplyDelete