Friday, August 26, 2011

A Familiar Rhythm

After getting back into the all-too-familiar rhythm of the Mount and visiting a good handful of the ministries again, this has been one packed, eventful, and enjoyable week. Each day has brought new and wonderful experiences, and although I know I shouldn't wish away the days, I can't wait for what the next day will bring.

This week I spent time at both the food pantry and the soup kitchen, both part of Emmaus Ministries. I had volunteered multiple times in each before, but as always, no day is the same as the previous. It is always a bit overwhelming to spend a few hours in either place and see the number of individuals and families that come in for assistance or to eat a meal. But still, you are cheerful and inviting to each guest, and you just hope and pray that your smile and well wishes helped even a little that day. One guest at the soup kitchen left a particular mark on me this week. I was pouring drinks at the end of the food line when a man leaned over to me and said, "God will bless you for doing this, for helping poor people. It goes on your record, and God knows. Thank you so much for thinking of us." To keep my composure right after that was tough, but I just smiled, handed him a drink, and replied, "You're most welcome, and thank you for your kind words." I haven't been able to keep that off my mind since.

I also spent a few hours with the toddlers at the day care. Talk about an absolute blast! I don't have much experience with children this age. We don't have many young ones in our family right now, and the ones that are that age I never get to see, so this was a real treat. They are so innocent at that stage in their life. Everything is funny and an adventure to them, and they are just full of life. Yes, there is the occasional temper tantrum, but it last for all of a minute and then life is just fine and dandy after that. And one of the boys is a little flirt, as I found out rather quickly. Shy at first, hiding his face in his hands against the wall, then hiding his face against my stomach, and finally sticking his face in mine and busting a gut laughing. Too cute. I really hope I get to go back to that classroom.

For some entertainment and recreation this week, a few trips to the peninsula and out into the Mount parking lot to skate proved to be a lot of fun and a good way to relax and let out a little stress. Carrie and I skated a few laps around the circle just in front of the entrance way to the monastery, and gave the sister at the front desk that night some laughs as she suddenly saw two girls "whizzing" by rather effortlessly! We also *sort of* "learned" how to play hand and foot, a card game. If you were to put me into the game right now, I'd fall flat on my face. I need a few more lessons, I think.

Now, as I come to my first full weekend here, I find myself wondering what to do. EXPLORE! That is the only answer.

I caught the deer!


No comments:

Post a Comment