Monday, August 29, 2011

"Everybody's Working For The Weekend"

Credit to the 80s group "Lover Boy" for this post's title.

This past weekend was one for the books. It was full, but surprisingly relaxing. Friday night, Carrie (my fellow Benedicta Riepp buddy, and best friend) and I went down the road a little bit to Shades Beach to watch the sunset. We arrived a little too late to actually see the sun setting, but we were able to look out into a sky full of the most beautiful colors. I haven't done that in a long time. It hasn't ever been as easy as walking across the road for me. We were there for a good 45 minutes, and the weather was perfect, making it a great start to the weekend.

Saturday I was very much looking forward to a little visit from my grandparents. They were bringing my bicycle down from my hometown of Newfane, NY here to Erie. A 2-hour drive just for that! I was so grateful to them. They were able to meet a couple of the sisters, but man, does this place clear out on the weekends. It must have been partly because of the Polish Festival downtown. Speaking of which, that is the most fun I've had in a long time. We hung out with four sisters, eating pierogi and potato pancakes, and drinking a Polish beer or two. We ran into a few more sisters and oblates along the way, and against the wishes of the sisters, simply watched them polka instead of dancing ourselves, but promised if they taught us how to polka, we would dance with them next year...

Sunday afternoon, Carrie and I loaded our bikes into my car and off to the peninsula we went. A six-mile round-trip ride later, during which we ran into another sister who had biked there from her home in town, and we were set for the day. I'm falling in love with what Erie has to offer already. And with the help of several of the sisters, we are finding our way around this place, and learning quite a bit in such a short amount of time.

Tonight we are off to the Erie SeaWolves game, the farm team for the Detroit Tigers (baseball), with a few of the sisters.

In short, these nuns are cool.

Sunset Friday night

No comments:

Post a Comment