Friday, September 2, 2011

"And, umm...how did you become aware of this?"

I have been getting a few questions from some readers inquiring as to how I found this monastery, the Sisters, and this program. This post will hopefully explain.

I have known the Benedictine Sisters here in Erie for about 2 1/2 years now. I first came in contact with them through an Alternative Spring Break (ASB) service trip through Canisius my sophomore year of college in 2009. ASB is a chance to give up what for most college students seems like a rite of passage, a vacation, and use that week to volunteer at different sites around the country, mostly here on the east coast. I happened to be placed at the Erie Benedictine Community site, and, to my surprise, had the greatest "vacation" I could have asked for. No, it wasn't spent on the beach getting a tan, or staying up late partying, or sleeping in until noon each day. It was actually quite a culture shock for me. That week included 6:30AM prayer, packed days volunteering in the community's many inner city ministries, prayer in the evenings, a lengthy reflection each night, and then we'd go to bed and start all over again the next morning.

Much to my surprise, I loved it. So much so, that I interviewed for a leader position and led a team the following year for ASB, served as leader for our Winter Service Week team just this past January, and returned to my original role as a team member again this past March for ASB. So in all, between the four service weeks and our school's Women's Retreat, I had spent a little over a month here before moving in two weeks ago. So if it seems to many of you out there that I am comfortable with this place and the Sisters, it's because I really am.

These women are pretty great. And when you get to form real relationships with them, you find out a lot of things that surprise you. Like, for example, one of the Sisters happens to know someone who lives down the street from where I grew up, and has enjoyed the same popcorn from the stand I grew up going to each Summer, and that's a big deal to me because nobody knows about the town I'm from, unless you live there yourself or know someone who lives there. She also happens to be my mentor for this year.

Some more animal stories for all you readers out there. Wednesday night after dinner, three deer came up really close to the back porch, and behind them at the tree line, a mother turkey and her babies were walking along. All of them out there at the same time, and for a long time, too! I was too fascinated to run down and grab my camera. The mob of us just stood at the windows in the community room in awe until they walked out of sight. All I kept thinking was, "I could get used to this."

No comments:

Post a Comment