Monday, September 26, 2011

Shuffle Hustle

This gorgeous weekend brought with it a joyous cold! Well, maybe joyous isn't the word for it. Was it from work? My brother? The schedule finally catching up with me? Who knows. All I can say is that I am glad it came on a weekend so I could actually rest and attempt not to infect anyone else, except for Carrie, my resident caretaker. I guess I should thank her for putting herself in the line of fire...!! And I should thank all the Sisters for their concern, and one in particular for her sweet little note and Snackwells Cream Cookies...yummmm. Also, you sometimes get other little gifts at your door, like Airborne tablets to put in water. The Sister who gave them to me agrees with me that they are awful, so I guess I don't feel bad posting what could be an exact snapshot of what I looked like when I first tried it (see below). But all joking aside, the concern is very much appreciated. If this was only for a little cold, what happens when you're actually laid up for a few days? Must be that good 'ol Benedictine hospitality.

Since Saturday was such a gorgeous day and I didn't get a chance to take advantage of it, I'm glad Sunday was even nicer. And I'm glad I was feeling better and agreed to take a walk with two of the Sisters because I discovered a hidden talent I apparently have. Now I was actually conned into this, it was disguised as just a walk. So imagine my surprise when I got to the front door and one Sister says, "We've got ourselves some shuffleboard partners!"

...Shuffleboard. You know, that game you see retirees play on cruise ships? Yeah, well, apparently this 22 year old plays pretty well. It took a few rounds to really get into it, but before long I was landing my team's discs right in the middle of the numbers, nowhere near the lines. 10? No problem! 8? Of course! And to be completely honest, I had a blast. So much so that I completely forgot myself and revealed my lovely "happy dance" a few times. Must have been the cold medicine... The funny thing is, we had to go over to the senior apartments behind the Mount to play this. No residents were out there, just us four young ones :) Unfortunately I have no documentation that this event even occurred. The score ended up to be 106 to 20-something. Shout out to my partner, my team was pretty beast. Re-match next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment