Monday, September 5, 2011

The Simple Things

After rounding out two weeks here at the monastery, my internal rhythm is beginning to settle. Rising before the sun is up is getting easier, I just wish I was able to watch the sunrise since I'm actually up early enough! And I'm getting used to the fact that my bed time is between 10 and 10:30pm instead of midnight or later like I've been used to for so many years.

I also have to say that I'm beginning to slow down and take the time to notice the beauty of such simple things around here, most especially for me, morning and evening prayer. I've always enjoyed it during my visits. There's something calming about beginning and ending a long, and sometimes stressful day, with beautiful voices and a designated time for reflection, because I didn't ever have that opportunity, or didn't use my free time for something like that. I love it.

And I know I've said it countless times before, but the deer that appear each day continue to amaze me. I don't get that back home. Not in the city, and not in the town I grew up in. Last night when Carrie and I returned after dinner, two deer were just waiting in the grass, and one was laying down. And they just stay there. Perfect photo-op, although I have not uploaded those pictures just yet.

One last moment of beauty, and one some may overlook. Friday and Saturday night were spent playing games, mostly card games, with a few Sisters. It really was so much fun. Friday night it was Hand and Foot, which I think I almost have down, and Saturday was a mixture of about 3 or 4 different games. And the beauty of it? Different generations and opposite cultures coming together and having fun with something so simple. Lots of laughs and joking around. Nobody taking anything seriously. Just pure fun.

Today is Labor Day! And a day off for me. I have never been off of work for holidays such as this in, oh, maybe the 5 years I've been employed. I hope everyone has had a great long weekend. And good luck to my brother as he begins his sophomore year of high school tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment