Monday, November 14, 2011

Talents

I have recently come to realize a new way to put my talents to use. Yesterday's gospel reading was from Matthew 25, the Parable of the Talents. (Now what is meant by talents here is up to interpretation, at least in my opinion. The way that I have always translated it for my own understanding is one of a few interpretations that I have received from several people). If God gives you certain talents, then you should use them, and hopefully your talents will spread. Well, I think I have done just that. At least I hope I have.

A few weeks ago, Carrie and I were asked to do candle and incense during the vigil Saturday night. Carrie quickly grabbed up the light rite and gave me the incense. For those who knew my dance background, this seemed like the role for me to play that night. To tell you the truth, I was not too thrilled about the idea of being left alone and so exposed in front of most of the community when all I was thinking was "I have no idea what to do!!"

But then I realized, with the help of a few Sisters, that there really isn't a set way something absolutely has to be done. As long as you are doing it for the right reasons, as long as your heart is in it, then anything you do is fine. I took dance lessons from the age of 3 through my senior year of high school, and as I'm heading into my 5th year without classes, I miss it. A lot. While I am now horribly out of shape, not nearly as flexible as I once was, and fighting to maintain the balance I once had, dance is still and will always be my heart's passion.

Since I do not have the means to take lessons at this time, I think I have to consider some new ways to put my talents to use. So, this past Saturday, I was once again asked to do incense at the vigil. And you know what? I really enjoyed it. I did the first time, after my nerves took a rest, and it was a little easier this time around. Now, I realize what I may be doing by making this statement. I'm going to leave it at that...

God gave me my talent. Now it's up to me to use it.


Our fearless leader returns tomorrow night. 'Bout time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment