Friday, December 23, 2011

A Decorating Frenzy

With only today and tomorrow to go before Christmas Day, the season is officially upon us. The Mount is decorated and everyone is getting into the spirit.

I was a little down and out when I heard that my family had decorated the house and were getting ready to bake and ice our Christmas cut-outs, which I will still insist are the best I've ever tasted, although I might be a little biased, and there still wasn't even a tree up here. To the Sister's credit, however, Advent is allowed its own season, which is something very new for me to fully experience, but absolutely beautiful and, I think, necessary if you want to appreciate this time of year. But the house is no longer empty.

Wednesday night was pizzelle night. A handful of us made pizzelles for a couple of hours and it was so much fun! It was also fun to have a little friendly competition to see who could make the perfect pizzelle, which is pretty hard to do. I had a great teacher though. Who knew that the perfect pizzelle cookie required a dance and oh so delicate flipping?

Last night was the big decorating night. It began with the GINORMOUS tree in the community room. It was so big, in fact, that Carrie and I were up on scaffolding to reach the top, while the others handed us ornaments and directed us to any bare spots on the tree. We even trusted our fearless leader to pull us around the tree on that thing...it's ok, we're still here. It's really cool to see such a big tree decorated in under 30 minutes!

After the tree was all set, we had prayer in the community room, followed by the blessing of the tree, and the Sister eldest in rank having the honor of lighting it. Christmas carols and cut-out cookie decorating came after. I was a sprinkle-er, or sprinkler, who knows. Anywho, I was in charge of putting sprinkles on the cookies, and there were dozens and dozens of them.

AND THEN!...after that was finished, off to the South Assembly we went to put up another tree and more decorations.

BUT WAIT! We weren't done. Our director and Carrie's mentor requested our assistance in putting up yet another tree, and decorating a lounge area down by their rooms. It really was a lot of fun.

After about 4.5 hours of decorating madness, and absolute fun-ness, we called it a night. Christmas is finally here, although I thought it was just August...actually, yesterday was just graduation. Where has the time gone??

Have a very merry and blessed Christmas, everyone. Enjoy the time spent with family and friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment