Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Reflections

This Christmas was probably the most enjoyable and meaningful it has ever been. It's definitely one I will be talking about and remembering for years to come. It was the first time I could actually take the time to enjoy the weeks leading up to Christmas without rushing around with studying, term papers, exams, packing, and just plain rushing to make sure you have covered everyone on your list that year...

But I think the most enjoyable part for me was how reflective and involved I was able to be. First of all, I think Advent is the most peaceful prelude to Christmas, and, as I said in a previous post, necessary to fully appreciate the season. We all received an Advent reading to reflect on, and I think it really helped put my mind and spirit in the right place. My Wednesday reflection days were a little more meaningful in the last month, and I really hope I can use what I've gained through all of this to help in the coming weeks and months. While I have learned and gained a lot, there is a lot more I can still learn, gain, and change.

Christmas with both of my families was wonderful. Christmas Eve liturgy was beautiful, and so was the service Christmas morning. I was privileged to be an "angel" at the beginning of liturgy, carrying the Advent candles and placing them in the wreath. I guess all I was missing was a halo, which I received after the service had ended. A lot of good that does, ya know? :p I am always humbled when I am asked to participate in prayer or liturgy, and this was no different. But there's nothing like being so nervous that you fear your sweaty palms might drop a candle just as you're raising it up or something. Yikes! (Shout out to my four wonderful candle holders, you were great!)

Sunday evening I arrived home to a house full of family and good food. I could have plopped into bed right then, but somehow I managed to fight sickness and heavy eyelids and finished out the day with a family gift exchange at midnight.

This week home has been nice. I have to admit, not setting an alarm and sleeping in with no bells waking you up is kind of nice, but something has been missing. Oh yeah, you know, the 60 other people I live with?? And then there's prayer. You get into a routine, so even when I'm at the Mount but sick, my days are a little empty without some quality time spent in chapel. But today I return back to my second home in the 814. I still need to pack, though. Somehow I always seem to come back with more than I left with. How is that?

Farewell, 'Fane. Until we meet again...




Even the pets get presents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment