Friday, January 6, 2012

Reflection Exercises

As part of this experience, one day each week I have what is called a reflection day. For me it's Wednesday. I do not go to my ministry that day, but instead use the day to reflect, read scripture or poetry, or do something that is beneficial to me in some way. In that day I am supposed to feed my mind, body, and spirit.

I also meet with my mentor Wednesday mornings. During that meeting we talk about the past week, which usually involves a few stories about my kids, the positives for the week, any issues I may be having, and I usually have a short reading or assignment that we discuss.

This week my mentor asked me to take time every night to write down three things I am grateful for in that individual day. Sounds like a piece of cake, right? Well, three things might not seem difficult, but for me I have been able to think of two right away each night, but I really have to think about a third. It doesn't mean it's not there, it just means I have to really pay attention.

I love this reflection exercise. What I like about it is that it forces you to think positively. So many times we focus on the negative, what didn't happen, what went wrong, yadda, yadda. Instead, we should try to look at the blessing that might have come out of what "wasn't supposed to happen", because maybe that's just it, it wasn't supposed to happen. God had a different plan for you that day.

This is something I hope to stick with. For me it's been a calming way to settle my mind right before bed. I get under the covers, grab my journal and pen off the nightstand next to my bed, jot down my thoughts, put them back and turn out the light.

Sound good to you? Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment