Friday, March 9, 2012

A New Kind of Prayer

One of the things I am becoming accustomed to during my time here is the idea that prayer doesn't have to be the obvious. I mean, I don't necessarily have to be kneeling in a church, head in my hands, saying Hail Marys the entire time. That is certainly one way to pray, and if it feels right, then it is. There isn't a right or wrong way to pray. My new way: dance.

I am the most calm and centered when I dance, I always have been. That is when I am in my element. So one day It popped into my head, why can't I make it a prayer? Answer: I can! Most of my reflection days I try to grab up the Garden Room for a little while to stretch out and just mess around with music and my ballet slippers. Nobody can bother me. It's just me, the music, and God, and I don't have to worry about a thing. I don't even have to worry if my form is perfect, although I admittedly do. I guess the only thing I have to worry about is someone opening the doors on me, huh?

For me, this is the perfect prayer. It's something that comes so naturally to me, and isn't that how one would like prayer to be? Natural, not forced? I've felt kind of empty since I stopped dancing, so it's nice to sort of have it back in my life. My prayer while I dance? God, please allow the grace of dance to enter into my daily life.

(Any photos posted can always be clicked on to be enlarged)

No comments:

Post a Comment