Monday, March 26, 2012

Growth

A lot has happened recently that has put several things in perspective for me. It's been a rough week personally, emotionally, etc. However, I did manage to escape flu bug #2 that swept through the house. (yay!) But regardless, it was a trying week.

Through all of it, though, there are those that are with you every step of the way. I have a best friend and parents that are always there to listen to the good, the bad, the ugly, your shortcomings, and that which is bothering you at any hour of the day or night. I have a mentor who is always there to guide me through all of that, and a fearless leader that makes sure all is well, who would and has dropped everything in a heartbeat and listened when I really needed her to. There are countless sisters in between that offer support every day. And of course, there's always God. When in one week I can experience conflict, anger, guilt, death, and sadness, and still walk around with my head held high, I know I am in a better place, because one year ago I would have found myself balled up in a corner, doubting I was strong enough to face any of it.

To those out there that have questioned my decision to take on this year, who doubted that living in a monastic community could ever prepare me for the rest of my life in the "real world", the past several months have taught me more about life and how to deal with its challenges and curve balls than my first 22 years did, and that's a gift I would never trade.




Rest in God's loving embrace, Sister Benedict and Sandy. You will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment