Monday, May 14, 2012

L.O.V.E.

Yesterday was Mother's Day, and I think it was so fitting, and also no coincidence, that the readings and Gospel for the day were all about LOVE. The priest we had here at the Mount gave a great homily on how mothers have the greatest love of all. I'm going to extend that to include both mothers and fathers, grandparents, and anyone out there who plays a nurturing role whether they are actual parents or not.

Father talked about the difference between that "giddy" love that we all feel at times, and the love that is natural, that is there because you truly care about that person. It's not easy, but it's real. I, of course, felt that love all my life growing up. My parents never failed to tell me how much they loved me, and always showed it.

Here at the Mount, I have around 60 or so motherly figures that just radiate love. You can feel it when you walk into the monastery, when you share a meal, hang out, and spend time with individual sisters. You can hear it in their voices when they mention what little time I have left in the program, or ask me about my future. I can feel it in my meetings with my mentor and fearless leader. And it extends throughout the Benedictine community. Carrie and I each received a note from an oblate who lives in California. To know that people you've never even met can care so much about you is amazing. Thank you!

Love and understanding is the key to breaking through so much of the hate in this world. Who knows where we would be if this could ever become a worldwide reality.




Speaking of love, I traveled up to Dunkirk, NY Saturday morning to be with my parents and brother as they adopted a dog rescued from a kill shelter in another state. Her name is Kylie Marie, and she is adjusting well to her new home, family, and older doggie sister, 8 yr old Maisy.  After a pretty rough first year of life, she finally found her forever home, and an absolutely loving one at that.



No comments:

Post a Comment