Monday, July 16, 2012

Community

Throughout the past three years that I've known this community, I've heard several times over that these women and their extended community members know how to take care of one another. When you live here and hang around long enough, you begin to see and experience it. It's always extremely touching and heartwarming.

I have had many experiences where I have been on the receiving end of this generosity. Several times it has been because of sickness. Everyone offers their own advice on remedies to try, slips a note or get-well card under your door, or comes to check on you. Then when you finally emerge from your room it's like they haven't seen you in eons. What am I going to do when I move out and become sick???!!!

Lately, a different kind of generosity has emerged. I have been overwhelmed with all of the help Carrie and I have received as we start to piece together our lives post-Benedicta Riepp. It has come in several different forms, from prayer to offering a piece of furniture here and there, and all of it helps. A lot of it has been jaw dropping and has left me speechless, wondering what I've done to deserve all of this. All I can do is thank them, thank God, and pay it forward some day. This community is pretty amazing, and I'm reminded of that every day. I can't wait to have everyone over so they can see what they've helped us with!


No comments:

Post a Comment