Monday, July 9, 2012

Getting to Know the World

One of the things I've really been thinking about lately is that I've had the privilege of meeting so many different people this year through this community. They might be oblates of this community, family members or friends of individual sisters, or visiting guests just looking for a comfortable place to be for a little while. And they can be from virtually anywhere in the world. Whatever the case may be, it's always a pleasure getting to know each one!

For the past two weeks, we've had a sister staying with us from a religious community in Philadelphia. She is the friend of one of the sisters here. What I love is being able to see this community, live this experience, through the eyes of another. The guests seem to find the beauty in things you might never have imagined. That's exactly what she has done for me during her visit, and tomorrow morning she leaves. I didn't spend a lot of time with her while she was here, but we shared a few meals and caught up here and there on her visits to the ministries and a few local hot spots, and everything was exciting. It makes me think of my first visit. Was I in awe of this community like that? And you know what? I really think I was. Why else would I have kept coming back?

I feel like I owe the sisters for everything this year. Where else would I have met these wonderful people? Would I have even met them at all? And I thank the many guests for sharing their lives with me. I've learned just as much from them.



And in case you are unaware of how awesome the women of this community are, CLICK HERE. I make a cameo appearance for a hot second, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment