Sunday, July 29, 2012

The End Is Only The Beginning

The moment I had been dreading for weeks has finally come and gone. I no longer live at the Mount. I am officially out of the Benedicta Riepp Program. I have entered into the next phase of my life. I am sad. I am nervous. I wish I could turn back the clock.

That being said, I have just finished what was probably the best year of my life. Pretty much every worry I had prior to entering this program turned out to be nothing. I can recall so vividly the afternoon I moved in. Carrie and I stopped at a gas station right off our exit on the thruway, filled our tanks, looked at each other and said, "the 90 is right there, last chance to turn around!" Needless to say, we didn't. I have learned so much about myself, about others, and about God. I have been challenged and pushed to my emotional limits. I have grown in leaps and bounds from where I was a year ago. I have my faith, persistence, and 90+ sisters to thank for that.

Throughout this year I have experienced a number of things. As a Benedicta Riepp participant, I was fully immersed in Benedictine life. Aside from a few important community meetings, I took part in everything the sisters did. I was no different from any of them. I experienced Jubilee, Thanksgiving, Advent and a very Benedictine Christmas, the new year, Lent and Easter, and all the other liturgical seasons, the deaths of three sisters, countless retreats, speakers, and picnics. I laughed, I cried, I freaked out, hit my walls, rose above the challenges, met a world of wonderful people, and I'm coming away with meaningful relationships that I pray will last.

To the community as a whole: I pray you will some day know what an absolute blessing you have been in my life. Just when I thought I was ready to head on with adulthood by myself, God intervened and showed me what I really needed after college. I am so grateful that I have this group of women in my life. Thank you for your unconditional love and acceptance of my presence. I hope I have done the same for you.

To my mentor: Thank you for your listening heart, advice, and for keeping me on the right path. I have enjoyed our conversations wholeheartedly, and I so appreciate your sense of humor when times have been a little tense. I could always count on you.

To my fearless leader: Thank you also for your absolutely wonderful listening heart. You were always there when I needed you and provided the perfect balance of seriousness and humor. I cannot imagine being under the direction of anyone else. Thank you for everything. You have no idea.

It was extremely difficult to walk out of those doors knowing that it symbolized the end of such a great time. Coming home to an empty house was extremely difficult as well. I cried most of the drive, and sat on the couch with one of the dogs and absolutely sobbed as she licked the tears falling down my cheeks. I kept it in as well as I could during my good-byes, but I hardly made it down the street before it started.

And I know it isn't really the end. I am living less than 10 minutes away, but change is always hard for me. But I am looking forward to beginning a new relationship with the Erie Benedictines. They will always be with me, and I hope a part of me always stays with them as well :)

One sister put it well the other night: "Aren't you glad you didn't turn around at the gas station?!"

YES!

Commitment September '11




Farewell Blessing July '12

No comments:

Post a Comment