Friday, February 10, 2012

Back At It

After about 2 weeks of upper respiratory, fever, sinus infection, ear infection sickness (sooooo fun), I am almost back to normal. No more posts complaining about it, at least for now...

However, being run down and sort of hidden from everyone for most of the past couple of weeks has really brought a few things to the front page of my little mental notebook. For one, I am a people person. Actually, I'm kind of shy and reserved (those who know me, don't laugh), at least in certain situations and with those I am just getting to know.  I put that as an interesting fact on my bio the last time I came to the Mount for a service trip last March and several sisters commented and called me out on it, probably because they don't remember how I was the first time I visited three years ago. Anyhoo, when you are away from a house full of people for days on end, you get pretty lonely. Especially when you are only one or two floors away. I mean, I felt pretty sick and lousy most of the time, but I still missed being around everyone. I know a couple of people came down to visit here and there, but I think I was sleeping (sorry!). I even missed church two weeks in a row. So sisters, I really missed you all!

Second, sitting in bed all day is just plain boring. I couldn't read, listen to music, or do anything except sleep if it was even possible. And being cooped up in a room for days isn't much fun. It really made me think about simple things like just walking outside, or driving a car even. And what do you know, I even missed going to work! (I don't think I've ever said that before...)

And third, I am really grateful for all of the wonderful people I have in my life this year. Most especially those I live with. Everyone really does care about and take care of each and every person here. It was uplifting to have Carrie come back after a meal or prayer upstairs and hear "Sister said hello", "Sister wants to know if you need anything" and things like that. And yes, my mom knew I was sick, and appreciates all of her stand-ins in her absence. I'm also grateful for close friends that are comfortable seeing you at your worst, and stick with you through it all, and for fearless leaders who come to visit and sit with you in your room, even if it was at a distance :P

So I'm back on the road to being healthy. Now if only the weather would settle down and pick a season and stick with it. I'd appreciate it, and I know quite a few others whose immune systems would thank Mother Nature too.

No comments:

Post a Comment