Friday, February 17, 2012

Connections

This week I had the wonderful opportunity to spend some time with some sisters in the infirmary during their "This and That Club" meeting on Wednesday. This is a weekly meeting where sisters from the infirmary and assisted living wings can come together to talk, share stories, participate in activities, etc. I was asked to speak during this week's meeting.

Speak about what you may ask? Well, myself. I was happy to do it, but I must admit that I really don't like talking about myself. However, it wasn't so bad. At least I was in a comfortable setting and with people I knew well enough, so it wasn't so daunting. It was fun and really enjoyable.

Although I have lived here for 6 months and see many of these sisters often, I really don't have many chances to sit down and talk with them. I am gone all day during the week, and sometimes time just gets away from me. They know why I am here and what the program is all about, but most of them really didn't know that much about me personally. That was the focus of my talk. They seemed to really enjoy it. I got lots of hugs when I was done, so that's a good sign, right?? There is something really special that happens, I think, when a connection can be made across generations and between cultures. I've learned so much from everyone here, I can only pray I will have taught this community something in my time here as well.

This was done on my reflection day. To be honest, this was one of the most reflective moments I've had so far this year. It allowed me to think back on what led me to where I am. Every experience shapes your path in life; where you will go and who you will become. They will lead you to those whose hearts you will touch, and to those you allow to touch yours. A lot has happened in 23 years. Actually, a lot has happened in the last 4-5 years that has really led me here, to where I am right now in my life. I am not much of a fan of the saying "everything happens for a reason", but I do believe that the experiences we have give us a chance reevaluate our life should we choose to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment