Monday, April 23, 2012

Catholic? Why Me?

In light of some recent, and might I say outrageous, statements released by the Vatican, I got to thinking about why I felt called to become a Catholic in the first place. That was my crazy college experience. Some people party every weekend, some drop out, some lose their minds because they don't know how to maturely handle the transition to adulthood, and me, well, I became Catholic.

Aside from finally finding a church I felt I belonged in, I was really influenced by the Jesuit values that Canisius College sprinkles generously throughout their courses, extracurricular activities, organizations, faculty & staff, and eventually the student body themselves. From the teaching styles of professors, to the inclusion of community service as a requirement for many courses and the overall feeling of acceptance no matter who you are, the institution's ability to spread the ideals of social justice and Jesus' love for all are alive and well. It is such a positive representation of what being rooted in Christian values looks, sounds, and feels like.

This eventually led me to discover Campus Ministry and its array of service opportunities. After a couple of week-long service trips to NYC and Erie, PA, I came across the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, and my life was forever changed. Talk about a strong community of women, rooted in the Catholic faith and teachings of Jesus. My experience here at the Mount only solidified my decision to convert.

For me, being a Catholic woman means being sensitive to the needs of those around me, no matter who they are or what they need. It means being aware of the injustices in the world, and speaking up and acting out against them. It means not judging anyone for the situations they might find themselves in, but being a supportive figure in their lives. It means standing up for women's rights and our right to decide what is best for ourselves, because do these stuffy men really know what's best for a woman? Especially when some of the issues being discussed currently will directly and negatively affect my personal health if approved. It means accepting all life as precious and worthy of our love and God's love, no matter their sex, race, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, religion, culture, etc., because that's what being a Christian really entails. Love and acceptance. For.All. No matter what.

I commend the Women Religious in the US for being a consistent presence in the face of injustice of all forms. Because of your courage, more people like me are finding their voice in the ongoing battle of social justice. You are living hope for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment