Friday, April 13, 2012

How to Push Through a Wall

That really is the question for me these days. I briefly mentioned in my last post almost two weeks ago, now, that I needed something to shake things up. It took me a little bit to figure out what I really needed. But I think I got it: I need to get away for a few days.

And not just anywhere. I mean, I could very well sign out a hermitage for a few days if there was one free, or sign out a place down at camp, or go home for a weekend. I thought of all of those options. But what really kept popping up was the need to be a 23 year-old. My solution? Head to NYC/Long Island for a few days!

Don't get me wrong, I really do love it here at the Mount. I'm pretty content hanging out reading, putzing around online, playing games with a group of sisters, and just in general hanging out with different sisters here and there. I'm pretty easy going and it doesn't take a lot to entertain me most of the time. I just allow opportunities to materialize. However, that doesn't erase the rather obvious generational gap between us younger Rieppers and the rest of the community. It isn't a bad thing at all. I'm really quite comfortable with it most of the time. As one sister put it last week, Carrie and I are, in a sense, "ageless". She said we meld very well with various age groups. I think she's right, but every now and then I find myself wishing I had a few more people around my age to go out with and have some fun. But then, of course, that would involve time and money, both of which I do not have much of these days. Then again, some might argue that I have more time than I think, and the latter is not all that necessary to have a good time. Anyhoo, I broke down and booked a trip with Carrie to visit our friend who is just finishing up her first year of grad school at Long Island University.

I can't exactly pinpoint why I'm hitting my wall right this moment. It was bound to happen, and I'm honestly surprised that I made it about 7 months in before it hit. I don't have a problem with anything or anyone. I just need a little vacation before I tackle the final few months of the program, and then prepare to enter the chaotic world that is graduate school. I'm looking forward to the trip, and looking forward to reuniting with my friend who, by the time we arrive at the end of May, I will not have seen in about a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment