Friday, October 28, 2011

Celebrating Life

Sunday afternoon Sister Margaret Mary passed away. It's one of those events that I knew might occur during my time here, but I just didn't expect it to happen as soon as it did.

The Erie Benedictines know how to celebrate. They know how to celebrate feast days, jubilees, and they most certainly know how to celebrate the life of one of their Sisters. Taking what could be a very depressing and sad thing and turning it into a celebration of life and achievement is a gift, and this community has it. This was not the first funeral I had been a part of here at the Mount. When I led our Canisius group here in January, Sister Marie Celine had passed just before our arrival so I had the privilege of witnessing what a wonderful event a funeral really can be.

Sure, there is sadness and there are tears. Hearts are heavy, and it's a little odd not to see her anymore, but between the memory service and the mass, so many happy and funny memories are brought up, and you begin to realize that she has achieved what they all are working towards: eternal life and the most intimate relationship one can have with God. I stand in awe of how epic these past two days have been, that someone was loved so much by so many, and you can feel it everywhere.

I have missed having her sit on my side of the chapel for prayer, and I've missed wheeling her out into the dining room or up to her bedroom. I'll miss her kisses and hugs, and her sweet voice telling me she loved me, because I know she meant it even though she didn't know me that well. But I know I am all the better for knowing her these past 2 1/2 years, and I will cherish the short amount of time she was part of my life.

I love you too, Sister Margaret Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment